From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Review: USE=libav news item
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 10:21:08
1 Dnia 2015-01-24, o godz. 11:07:34
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > El sáb, 24-01-2015 a las 00:39 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:
5 > > Title: USE=libav introduction
6 >
7 > As people could get blockers on upcoming "emerge -avuDN world" I would
8 > add some "hint" to the news item to suggest that one will help to solve
9 > that blockers. Maybe something like "USE=libav introduction to manage
10 > ffmpeg/libav selection and dependency conflicts"
11 >
12 > Or something else to point people to that news item in case they get the
13 > ugly blockers :/
14
15 Yeah, title is hard. Plus we have 55-char limit, I think.
16
17 > > The current USE=ffmpeg will maintain its role of enabling optional
18 > > support for ffmpeg or a compatible implementation (libav) in a
19 > > package.
20 > > However, whenever appropriate additional USE=libav will be introduced
22 > > control the preference of libav over ffmpeg.
23 >
24 > Have you think in adding a "libav" global use description and update
25 > "ffmpeg" one to explain this behavior? Otherwise new people not seeing
26 > this news item in some months or years will need to figure out by
27 > themselves that this USE if a bit "special".
28
29 Will be done when the news item is ready to be committed. And I've
30 updated USE=ffmpeg yesterday because it already means 'ffmpeg or libav'.
31
32 > > Users who currently use libav (the Gentoo default) do not have to
33 > > perform any action since USE=libav is enabled by default.
34 >
35 > Where is libav USE and package set as default over ffmpeg? I haven't
36 > found that in profiles/ dir :/ (or is it going to be done when
37 > implementing this?)
38
39 Right now in virtual/ffmpeg. The flag update will be committed along
40 with the news item.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny