From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, pms-bugs@g.o, dev-portage@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The meaning of || ( a:= b:= ) dependencies
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:55:24
1 On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 3:53 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The devmanual is very clear about it. || ( ) is only allowed if
4 > the implementation can be switched at runtime:
7 I do appreciate the issue here, but keep in mind that we have no way
8 to express an either-or dependency which ISN'T switchable at runtime
9 right now. So, if we disable the portage auto-rebuild functionality
10 to make it better align with PMS, we're going to end up doing more
11 manual rebuilds.
12
13 That isn't the end of the world due to @preserved-rebuild I suppose.
14
15 One thing that hasn't come up here is the situation where some of the
16 options are runtime-switchable, and some are not. :) Rather than a
17 new syntax it is probably simpler to just use ||= and have more
18 rebuilds than necessary (assuming the dependency even expresses a
19 subslot). This should also be a rather rare situation.
20
21 Rich