From: Philippe Trottier <tchiwam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] PACKAGE_OVERLAY and arch /usr/portage/packages ideas
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:21:11
1 That was sent to -core I should not send emails that early in the morning...
2 basically this works nice for me and it could be kept in mind for future
3 portage...
4
5 =======================
6 Hello,
7
8 Here is one thing I do and suggest...
9
10 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR}/local"
11
12 as default and --exclude it from rsync
13
14 then add a stamp to the binary packages... or the portage directory like
15 PKGDIR="${PORTDIR}/packages-ppc-2004.2
16
17 My make.conf looks like this(see under) and it works fine to deploy a
18 lot of machines in a short time with my own ebuilds... also works for
19 the other arch on the same network by changing few variables. So it
20 could be nice to have these features in place in an easy to export
21 fashion, I also export distfiles since there is no need to replicate all
22 the files on all the machines. I use mainly nfs...
23
24 /usr/portage rsync on all the machines from another local machine.
25 /usr/portage/local exported to all platforms (ro)
26 /usr/portage/distfiles exported to all machines (rw)
27 /usr/portage/packages-arch-release exported to specific arch and
28 releases(rw or ro)
29
30 rsync exclude packages* local distfiles
31
32 That would allow us to be taken more as a tune once, deploy everywhere
33 distribution, also allowing a real good use of distcc, preventing the
34 abuse of rsync mirrors (emerge gentoo-rsync-mirror), prevent abuse of
35 package fetching, consistent deployment, specific ebuild for location
36 and more than I can think of ...
37
38 Yours,
39 Phil
40
41 make.conf
42 ========================
43 CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
44 USE="aalib alsa altivec arts atlas blas bzlib directfb crypt dvd cdr
45 dvdr encode f77 fbcon flac gcj gtk2 java lcms v4l v4l2 ncurses
46 mozcalendar mikmod mpeg objc pic scanner tcltk tiff usb Xaw3d xmms xvid
47 zlib"
48
49 CFLAGS="-O3 -mtune=7400 -maltivec -mabi=altivec -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
50 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
51
52 SYNC="rsync://192.168.224.102/gentoo-portage"
53 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/"
54
55 # How and where to build
56 FEATURES="buildpkg"
57 PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage-local"
58 PKGDIR="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY}/packages-7400-2004.1"
59 MAKEOPTS="-j4"
60 PORTAGE_NICENESS="5"
61
62 # distcc stuff here
63 FEATURES="${FEATURES} distcc"
64 DISTCC_DIR="${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/.distcc"
65
66
67 --
68 gentoo-core@g.o mailing list