From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for cleaning portage a bit (themes and other eyecandy stuff)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:33:53
1 On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:11:47 -0400 Michael Cummings
2 <mcummings@g.o> wrote:
3 | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:44:04 -0700 Donnie Berkholz
5 | > <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
6 | > | What would be more interesting is something like
7 | > | app-portage/g-cpan for various themes sites. This way, individual
8 | > | themes wouldn't need to get packaged and maintained.
9 | >
10 | > If anyone's looking to experiment with this kind of thing... Paludis
11 | > supports multiple repository formats. We're already supporting CRAN,
12 | > and we might do CPAN,
13 |
14 | really? i thought you told me in irc we weren't worth it or something
15 | like that...honestly not trying to troll or incite flame, you gather
16 | enough of that, but last we spoke about incorporating g-cpan like
17 | functionality into paludis on irc, it wasn't worth your time (choice
18 | expletives were used). from the gist of that conversation, paludis was
19 | not up to this job if the repository didn't fit some rather strict
20 | guidelines.
21
22 You're missing context. There were a number of things that were being
23 considered for development 'right now', so to speak, and CPAN was
24 originally one of them. But because of CPAN's icky dependency handling
25 and conflicts with tree things, it's been moved to 'something we'll do
26 if we find someone who knows Paludis and CPAN and who is prepared to
27 stick in lots of effort'.
28
29 The biggie with CPAN is that it appears to be rather tricky to figure
30 out dependencies at dependency resolution time. With CRAN, for example,
31 dependencies are listed up front, so there's no problem or performance
32 issue making 'paludis --install --pretend some-cran-package' display a
33 full correct dep list. Getting this working with CPAN doesn't seem to
34 be a weekend job...
37 Ciaran McCreesh
38 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list