From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about licenses
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:42:28
1 On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:31:46PM +0200, Krzysiek Pawlik wrote:
2 > Torsten Veller wrote:
3 > > Why do we add a license to the licenses/ dir?
4 >
5 > ;)
6 >
7 > > Does the language of the license matter? (selfhtml is in german)
8 >
9 > IMVHO: yes. I don't understand German, but English yes.
10 >
11 > > Aren't MIT and MetaKit and ... the same license?
12 > > Aren't X11 and cdegood and JamesClark and ... the same license?
13 > > Should the licenses/ dir be cleaned?
14 > > (Should placeholders be used as in MIT?)
15 >
16 > Symlink? If MIT == MetaKit, then:
17 > ln -s MIT MetaKit
20 I don't know about this specific case but generally speaking licenses
21 that're similar in language and intent have very small (often cosmetic)
22 differences; if there is even the slightest difference it (legally)
23 qualifies as a different license and probably really should be included
24 separately to be safe
27 Jon Portnoy
28 avenj/irc.freenode.net
29 --