From: "Joshua J. Berry" <condordes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Enterprise Installer [was "LWE Aftermath" on -core]
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:07:00
1 Hi all --
2
3 I just got back from LWE, and there was some discussion about needing an
4 automated installer for lots of machines running the same configuration. For
5 lack of a better subject line, I'm calling this "Enterprise Installer" ... but
6 feel free to smack me with a wet fish if that's not a good name. ;)
7
8 I had lots of people come up to me and ask about features such as:
9
10 - Automated setup and install (a la Solaris' Jumpstart). This involves several
11 aspects, such as the creation of a custom profile, precompiling binaries,
12 automatic partitioning/formatting, automatic configuration, tying into
13 Catalyst to create an appropriate boot CD to run the install, ...
14
15 - Configuration management across many machines ... how can one easily handle
16 changes to files in /etc, and propagate them to clients?
17
18 - Allow users to create and maintain a custom Portage tree (derived from our own
19 base tree) which they can use to administer their other machines.
20
21 - Probably something else I forgot. ;)
22
23 While most of these are possible with shell scripts and the like, there are no
24 official Gentoo tools to do this. I think it would be great for Gentoo to
25 create some, because I think this is one area in which we can really shine.
26
27 I should re-emphasize that there is quite a lot of demand for this, especially
28 in mid to larger companies which have hundreds or thousands of machines that
29 they'd like to put Gentoo on, but can't because the setup process is so
30 involved. I don't remember exactly how many people asked me about it at
31 LinuxWorld, but enough did to make me remember. :)
32
33 So ... what are your thoughts on this?
34
35 On a related note, avenj did mention the Installer project to me, and gave me a
36 link to their CVS, but it hasn't been touched in a few months. Anyone know what
37 their status is, and what specifically they're trying to accomplish?
38
39 -- Josh
40
42 Joshua J. Berry
43
44 "I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
45 -- /usr/games/fortune
46
47 NOTE: Please do not submit this email address to any mailing
48 lists or websites without prior permission. Thank you.