From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LaTeX documentation
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 21:37:53
1 On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:20:31 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Andrey Grozin wrote:
5 >
6 > > There are two methods commonly used to fight against this situation
7 > > in ebuilds: using addwrite or setting VARTEXFONTS="${T}/fonts". The
8 > > second method is, probably, better.
9 >
10 > Why? This would mean that all fonts must be regenerated each time the
11 > package is built. And it doesn't even help if they are already present
12 > in /var/cache/fonts, since the directory is then also ignored for
13 > reading.
16 Per my other mail its a non issue now ;)
17
18 However, if an ebuild needs some fonts not in the font cache or the
19 texmf tree(s) it'll generate it in VARTEXFONTS, and since they're not
20 merged into the filesystem, it will do that each time the package is
21 built.
22
23 My opinion is that it is not so important because merging them will
24 cause headaches:
25 - How to detect when some fonts have been generated ?
26 - Should we merge them in src_install so that it's in the package
27 contents ? it'll get removed when the package is gone
28 - In some pkg_ functions so that it doesnt get removed; is this safe
29 for binpkgs ? that'll leave stray files, but that's more or less the
30 point of doing it like that.
31 - Where should we merge them ? hardcoding /var/cache/fonts is a no-no
32 as, even if for now it's forced to be there by texmf-update, it would
33 be a good idea not to do so and allow people to change the location. We
34 can ask for the value with kpsewhich; but is that a good idea to install
35 files in locations based on user defined config files ?
36
37 Regards,
38
39 Alexis.