From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:56:42
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 9:52:24 AM EDT William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Monday, October 17, 2016 2:47:00 PM EDT M. J. Everitt wrote:
3 > > On 17/10/16 14:44, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 > > >> If a binary package is provided in addition to its source-based
5 > > >> equivalent, the name of the former should be suffixed with '-bin'
6 > > >> for distinction."
7 > > >
8 > > > Essentially what I would like to see in policy yes. Though it does not
9 > > > address the problem of identifying packages that can be built from
10 > > > source, that get put in tree as binary, for what ever reason.
11 > >
12 > > Perhaps you can compile a list of such packages, as I would imagine QA
13 > > would be interested as to how 'widespread' this problem really is?
14 >
15 > That is a good task, but might be seen as finger pointing or tattling. I am
16 > already an outcast. I rather let others, at least there is some awareness
17 > now.
18 >
19 > Though not sure what QA can do in the absence of some official policy to
20 > enforce, beyond making requests.
21
22 By the way, even if a list is produced of binary packages in tree that can be
23 built from source. It likely is not addressing the real issue.
24
25 Why are the not built from source?
26
27 Because they are large, complex, and require many un-packaged dependencies.
28 Not to mention most tend to be Java. Which the more Java is neglected, more
29 dependencies not packaged. The more binaries will be put in tree because it is
30 cyclical. Things to package the large complex source are not, so people just
31 stick it in tree as a binary.
32
33 It is simply to much work to package from source. Though that argument could
34 be said about any aspect of Gentoo. It really comes down to a lack of man
35 power, so corners get cut.
38 William L. Thomson Jr.