From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 09:25:54
1 On 8 May 2016 at 20:58, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Or to put it a different way, if we're not going to use git's rich
3 > distributed branch development and tracking, forcing everything to single
4 > chain on the main tree, why did we bother switching to git in the first
5 > place? That was available on cvs, or if we wanted more features,
6 > subversion, etc.
9 I think the annoyance is more having two histories, where on one side,
10 you've got the high-traffic
11 gentoo work flow happening, and then you have a merge commit ....
12
13 And that merge commit may have only a single commit on it, and its
14 parent is god-knows how many days old.
15
16 So the "graph" looks *massive* when it is really only a single commit
17 and its merge commit.
18
19 I think the most productive thing here is not to ban "merge commits"
20 as such, but ban merge commits where the "merge base" ( that is, the
21 common ancestor of the left and right parents of the merge commit )
22 leaves a significant number of commits on the "left" side of the
23 equation.
24
25 Personally, I could live with "0 commits on left", because that would
26 give a bunching effect.
27
28 The "Real History" would still be linear if you followed only the
29 right parents, but you'd get a simplified view with grouping if you
30 followed only the left parents.
31
32 However, a limit of say, 10 commits on left, I could also live with.
33
34 The essential idea being to minimise the amount of congnitive effort a
35 human has when trying to explore the history and understand what
36 "actually happened" from a master perspective.
37
38 "Long histories that go for days only to merge one commit" tend to
39 harm this, and I think that's the essential irritation.
42 Kent
43
44 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL