From: Jean-Michel Smith <jean@××××.com>
To: Christian Skarby <christian@××××××.no>, peter.kis@×××××××××.info
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo & package security
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:19:02
1 On Friday 11 October 2002 04:53 pm, Christian Skarby wrote:
2
3 > Well, if one have such a strategy how can one be absolutely sure people
4 > authoriezed to modify packages have pure intentions? At some level one
5 > just will have to relay on something / others. It is not possible or at
6 > least not effective to reinvent wheels every day.
7
8 Short of meeting someone at a GPG key exchange party, there is no way to be
9 certain. But there are lots of ways to be "reasonably certain."
10
11 > On this mailinglist we've had discussions about pgp-signed ebuilds. Then
12 > atleast one can trace security-issues back to spesific signatures and make
13 > sure that the source is from whom it claims to be. But secure
14 > authentification is not easy to set up and not between people not knowing
15 > eachother in person.
16
17 I think we (by "we" I mean the free software community in general, although in
18 this context, the Gentoo community specifically) are making the mistake of
19 looking for perfection (a good thing) and not being willing to impliment a
20 GPG signature appraoch at all if we can't achieve it (a bad thing). As I've
21 said before, distributing keys or keychains of public keys for a core circle
22 of developers that people can be reasonably certain of isn't difficult, while
23 absolute, 100% perfect certainty is extraordinarilly difficult (requiring in
24 person, face to face meetings, etc.)
25
26 Someone suggested selling CDs with optimized binaries as a possible revinue
27 stream for the Gentoo project. Such a CD would hold no interest to me ...
28 even at work I do stage-1 installs, then compile the rest on each macine
29 indivually so that it is completely optimized for that machine, against
30 whatever versions of libraries and software happen to be present at that
31 time.
32
33 However, I WOULD pay for a CD containing a certified keychain of public keys
34 for key Gentoo developers, against which I could check GPG signatures of
35 ebuilds and source tarballs. That would IMHO be invaluable, especially if
36 such were combined with a peer to peer (e.g. FreeNet) alternative to ebuild
37 and tarball downloads.
38
39 But, in order to achieve 'reasonable certainty' said public keys could be made
40 available from multiple, independent public key servers, as well as web sites
41 (c.f kernel.org), ftp download sites THAT ARE NOT THE SAME sites one gets
42 portage and the source tarballs from, and so on.
43
44 Multiple conduits, from which people can download multiple copies of the keys
45 or keyrings in question, whcih can then be checked against one another. So
46 long as they all agree, all is okay. If one or more disagree, that should
47 raise a red flag.
48
49 Being able to buy a copy on CD, that is then mailed snailmail, provides an
50 additional level of assurance.
51
52 Absolute certainty? No.
53 Good enough? You bet, and vastly better than what we have now.
54
55 my 2 cents, and worth every penny :-)
56
57 Jean.