From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Multiple Repo Support
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:14:08
1 On Tuesday 27 December 2005 17:06, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > >
3 > > What about using the "&& ( kde-libs/kde:4 >=kde-libs/kde-4.0.1 )" syntax,
4 > > where the && would indicate that the atoms are to be folded, and consider
5 > > a single package that should satisfy them instead of the default where it
6 > > would require two packages.
7 >
8 > Portage's current behaviour is to consider individual atoms individually,
9 > but I wouldn't take that to mean it to be "the default" (as in that all
10 > atoms must be satisfied individually). Optimal behaviour would be to do as
11 > little work as possible to adhere to all requirements, making "&&" (or
12 > "ranged deps") unneccessary.
13
14 That is true, but my proposal would then still add value in requiring both to
15 be satisfied by one and the same package. If you have different syntax
16 (perhaps not duplicating the package name) that would be good /better for me.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Gentoo Developer