From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Releng breakage with respect to move from dev-python/python-exec to dev-lang/python-exec
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 08:53:43
1 On 02/11/2013 17:03, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > I was considering writing a news item for it but we discussed it on IRC
3 > and decided that users are really expected to be able to handle
4 > themselves, especially wrt to:
5 >
6 > 1. using 'emerge -Du @world' to upgrade their systems,
7 >
8 > 2. reading the blocker output to see that it states
9 > '<dev-python/python-exec-10000' -> which suggests: what if I upgrade to
10 > 10000?
13 Sadly, it's somewhat common for (newish) users to not know what to do
14 with that. Blocker output can be quite daunting in the beginning,
15 especially if it's in the middle of 20 other things portage is also
16 updating.
17
18 It's not easy to parse this stuff; I've been using gentoo for what feels
19 like forever and I still haven't managed to hard-wire my head to read
20 blockers like an idiom. I have to study it and usually end up reading
21 the affected ebuild directly.
22
23 The basic problem is that there's a lot of information to convey re a
24 blocker, but to new users it all just looks like noise.
25
26 One set of questions that were never answered and probably do deserve
27 some kind of notification:
28
29 1. What exactly is python-exec anyway?
30 2. Why are there two, in dev-python/ and dev-lang/ ?
31 3. One has a version of -10000, which is *highly* unusual, what is that
32 exactly? 1 more than -9999?
33 4. There is some kind of migration going on between an old and new
34 python-exec, but I can't understand it using only standard portage tools.
35
36 An advance notice was probably warranted in this case, not to avoid
37 bugs, but just to alert folk that something is coming down the wire and
38 a short description of what it's trying to achieve. Most folks are
39 naturally suspicious of anything that alters their python setup.
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com