From: Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE split ebuilds
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:15:09
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 > On Thursday 17 March 2005 00:07, Tom Wesley wrote:
3 >
4 >>I can't disagree that p'masking a bucket-load of packages, all at
5 >>different versions will be a pain. Also, upgrading etc may require a
6 >>small army of gnome's (pun intended) to complete the task in a timely
7 >>manner.
8 >
9 > Indeed. Which is why I don't want to do this.
12 >>Do any kde applications release outside of kde's main releases? (I have
13 >>a vague recollection of kopete doing this, but no others)
14 >
15 > Usually they stop when, or soon after, they are made part of an official
16 > kde.org package. I can't recall any app that does this right now. Anyway, for
17 > the very few that do, we can include extra releases with made-up version
18 > numbers (or dates) that sort of make sense. These cases are so rare that this
19 > doesn't fall into the 'confusing users' category IMHO.
20
21 Given those facts you've probably decided upon the best numbering
22 scheme... Confused users can easily be directed to use the KDE version
23 numbers I guess...
24 Thanks for entertaining the idea ;)
27 Tom Wesley <tom@×××××.org>