From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] timezone configuration - why copying, not symlinking /etc/localtime ?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 18:18:57
1 On 2021-03-27 23:40, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2
3 > The MIPS machine has functioning local disk drives, and currently, it
4 > boots fine by just pulling a kernel off my TFTP server and booting
5 > from the local drive, no initramfs needed because I compiled
6 > everything into it.
7
8 Out of curiosity, if your kernel images already come from the TFTP
9 servers why not simply put separate initramfs files there too?
10
11 > I wonder if there's a small C program out there that can call
12 > whatever the kernel functions are to mount a disk partition that
13 > could be embedded into a tiny initramfs, then pivot_root to
14 > $REAL_ROOT and run /bin/init?
15
16 You might be interested in this FOSDEM 2020 talk:
17
18 https://archive.fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ema_boot_linux_only/
19
20 Not exactly what you have asked for but the problem they are trying to
21 solve is the same as yours - boot Linux on a system whose first-stage
22 bootloader impose considerable size constraints. And since it uses kexec
23 at its core, it's essentially what Rich has suggested - except it's
24 already been (at least partially) done :-)
27 MS

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature