From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: add-on files handling improvements
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:28:22
1 On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 12:11:34AM +0200, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 >
3 > > Thoughts?
4 >
5 > One point in favor of the current practice (installing add-on files
6 > unconditionally) is the fact that you can basically do it for free - you
7 > neither have to depend on additional packages, nor is the presence of
8 > the add-on files a penalty in download time or storage.
9
10 The add-on files i'm talking about are not specifically used by the
11 packages that install them. They are add-ons that hook the packages into
12 external functions, such as shell completions, logrotate files, xinetd
13 configurations, etc.
14
15 The penalty is cruft on the users's systems when they don't use the
16 programs that read these files, such as app-admin/logrotate,
17 sys-apps/xinetd, etc.
18
19 All I'm saying is if the application that processes these small
20 files is not installed, I don't think the files should be either, unless
21 the upstream build system forces it; I guess we shouldn't try to do
22 anything about that.
23
24 > Further, a lot of packages install _small_ additional files
25 > unconditionally - let it be examples, minimal documentation, example
26 > configurations - unconditionally. And this is done with the very same
27 > reasoning as above; the penalty is small enough to not warrant the
28 > introduction of a use flag.
29
30 The small files I'm talking about, technically, aren't used by the
31 package that installs them; they are used by another package, which may
32 or may not be installed, independently from the package that installs
33 the small files.
34
35 > Personally, I would not introduce yet another set of global use flags
36 > just for the sake of controlling everything with use flags. The
37 > complexity this introduces (naming choice - enforcing the rule -
38 > ensuring uniformity) is worse than the current behavior of just
39 > installing small add-on files.
40
41 Actually I'm not talking about introducing more use flags; the flags I'm
42 interested in adding this functionality to are already there.
43
44 William