From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do (old-ish) Portage QA checks comprise policy?
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:02:47
1 Hi Kent,
2
3 On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 10:50:09AM +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
4 > On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 10:53:44 -0500
5 > Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > To avoid these sorts of questions in the future, it might be worth the
8 > > time it would take to vote on each of these policies formally, document
9 > > them on the wiki, and then move the related checks to ::gentoo/metadata
10 > > where other package managers can benefit from them (and where they can't
11 > > be unilaterally nuked). Having a comprehensive list of policies will
12 > > also help developers who want to Do The Right Thing and who read up on
13 > > these things proactively.
14 >
15 > I believe the place for these is in the dev-manual[1]
16 >
17 > If not the dev-manual, then if there is some other source of authority
18 > where they end up, there should be some mechanism to relay them to the
19 > dev-manual.
20 >
21 > Its hard to expect people to follow a policy that is mostly codified in
22 > tools and cultural wisdom.
23
24 You are correct. When I was on the team, the idea was that the devmanual
25 was the cannonical source for all qa policies.
26
27 I'm not on the team now but I would strongly support this.
28
29 William
32 > 1: https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/497c28fb2dab0a480c302ba966481f4f