From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: tclark@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 1.4 beta seems very slow to build
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 04:28:59
1 On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:06:47 +0000
2 Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I really can't explain this very well, but when I ran "emerge kde" to build
7 > the desktop it hadn't finished after 12 hours. I started the emerge under a
8 > chroot env. It seemed to be running ok to begin with. I went to bed and in
9 > the morning found that it was not completed. It was strange as it was using
10 > basically no CPU time at all by this stage (after about 8 hours). I rebooted
11 > the machine into the 1.4 system and finished the build. It did run a lot
12 > better. Not really sure why as I did try and emerge another program on the
13 > system (gentoo1.2 partition) and things seemed to be runnig fine. I am
14 > building it on an SMP athlon box with xp1900s fitted. There was no sign of
15 > memory leakage etc.(256M RAM). When I built kde in gentoo 1.2 on a
16 > uniprocessor machine a couple of weeks ago it took about 5 hours all up from
17 > memory.
18 > Anyone with any thoughts on what could be causing the slowdown?
19
20 I haven't benchmarked any of this... but the 3.x series of compilers
21 take longer to compile and optimize. Perhaps this is the issue.
22
23 -ryan