From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] keep a gen 2013 snapshot on mirrors
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:19:01
1 On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > The GPL obliges us to keep such patches around for three years, iirc.
3 > Don't we do that ?
4
5 Why? We own the copyright on the patches (to whatever degree that
6 they're copyrightable), so we don't need a license to distribute them.
7 If somebody else wants to redistribute our patches they need our
8 permission or they need to comply with whatever license we issue them
9 under (likely the same as the upstream license so that our users don't
10 have bindist issues).
11
12 The only thing we might need a license to redistribute are the parts
13 of the patch that we didn't change, and upstream already provides
14 those.
15
16 I don't think patches are a derivative work. The result of applying
17 the patches to the original source is a derivative work, but we don't
18 distribute that - it only exists in a user's /var/tmp.
19
20 At least, that's my understanding of copyright.
21
22 Rich