From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:21:23
1 On Wed, 17 May 2006 17:48:32 +0200 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | This is basically to protect the official package manager. This is
4 | not because I like portage that much, but to provide some kind of
5 | unified direction. I am afraid that allowing various competing
6 | package managers would cause a wildfire of incompatible elements in
7 | the tree. Therefore there must be one official package manager that
8 | the tree works with.
9
10 You're saying "we must never move forward" here. There is no
11 requirement that users use packages that are EAPI masked, any more than
12 there is a requirement that users use packages that are package masked.
13 We have had situations in the past where some ebuilds have relied upon a
14 non-stable or hard-masked Portage version.
15
16 | > The same situation will occur when newer Portage versions supporting
17 | > newer EAPIs are released into p.mask or ~arch. Some packages will
18 | > end up relying upon something that isn't the stable package manager.
19 |
20 | Portage is however the official package manager. This means that
21 | these packages do not hamper the position of the official package
22 | manager.
23
24 The "official package manager" isn't something that's in package.mask.
27 Ciaran McCreesh
28 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list