From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 21:16:24
1 On 08/22/2015 08:01 PM, Daniel Campbell (zlg) wrote:
2 >> The primary concern of gamers is that the game runs and that they
3 >> can reasonably install it (see the games-roguelike/nethack bug
4 >> which was unsolved for 8 years).
5 >
6 > What happened with that bug? 8 years? That's insane!
9 It got fixed in several overlays and then later got force-fixed by QA.
10
11 >> And this is just one example where games-specific
12 >> policies/guidelines are necessary. Another topic is ebuild cleanups
13 >> which have to be handled differently for various reasons.
14 >
15 > What ebuild cleanups are we talking about, specifically?
18 A great example is games-strategy/openra, which is very shaky in terms
19 of stability and if you want to play it on LAN, you definitely want more
20 than one version to try out.
21
22 Another example are fps games like games-fps/urbanterror where a lot of
23 servers still run older versions (and you might even want to play these
24 on LAN).
27 > Since you have some experience working on game ebuilds and are clearly
28 > invested in seeing games maintain their quality, what do you want to
29 > see happen to games on Gentoo? If we can gather a list of things we
30 > want to do or fix (from games maintainers, users, and other devs),
31 > maybe we can settle on actionable things and find a way forward.
34 Things I think that need to stay the same, although they can be improved:
35 * strict review policies, because I don't think it makes a lot of sense
36 to not communicate (we already had that). We have git, we can
37 communicate quickly and double check each others ebuilds/fixes. Games
38 ebuilds in particular have a lot of pitfalls.
39 * the team should have the freedom to enforce their own set of policies
40 and guidelines to a certain extent
41 * the team should be the go-to guys when it comes to games ebuilds
42 (pretty similar to what we have with other projects already... ofc you
43 can maintain your own python/games package without the python/games
44 herd, but it's really not very good style)
45
46 Things that need to change
47 * communicate more and be more open to global discussions
48 * be more open to community collaborations (github PRs for example)
49 * be proactive... don't just wait that people contact you
50 * actually process membership applications and extend the team
51 * be more active on the wiki and create useful sites (e.g. I started
52 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Games)
53 * try to bring more GoG and humble bundle games to the tree
54 * have an official games overlay for packages that really cannot meet
55 our current minimum standards (or other trash/graveyard/WIP things)...
56 the main work/collaboration however should happen in the tree
57 * help improve steam gaming on gentoo, even if it's just documentation
58 * improve official gentoo gaming support channels in general