From: Fabian Zeindl <fabian.zeindl@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Einfo and Ebegin
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:46:53
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:11:28 +0100 Fabian Zeindl <fabian.zeindl@×××.at>
3 > wrote:
4 > | What exactly is the difference of einfo and ebegin in the
5 > | init-scripts? Apparently it does the same...
6 >
7 > ebegin is followed by an eend, which gives you the [ ok ] marker.
8
9 Aha...
10 Because, I examined /etc/init.d/hdparm. It uses ebegin to display
11 'Starting hdparm' and the "subinformation" 'running hdparm on /dev/hda'.
12 When I use einfo for 'running hdparm' the output doesn't change.
13
14 I've two enhancement proposals here:
15
16 ## 1. When someone uses einfo to display "subinformation" for the
17 current tasks, it would be good if this line gets indented and displayed
18 without a asterisk in front:
19
20 So the current output for
21 ebegin "Starting hdparm..."
22 einfo "Running hdparm on /dev/hda"
23 einfo "Running hdparm on /dev/discs..." is
24
25 * Starting hdparm... [OK]
26 * Running hdparm on /dev/hda
27 * Running hdparm on /dev/discs
28 * ...
29
30 I think this would look better, you can replace the '-' by anything you
31 like...
32
33 * Starting hdparm...
34 - Running hdparm on /dev/hda
35 - Running hdparm on /dev/discs...
36 * ...
39 ## 2. isn't there a way of preventing this ugly error messages getting
40 into the output of the initscripts, or at least making them more beautiful?
41
42 So changing:
43
44 * Starting local...
45 /sbin/runscript.sh: line 5: sdf: command not found
46 * Failed to start local. [ !! ]
47
48 Into:
49 * Starting local [ !! ]
50 !! Error: /sbin/runscript.sh: line 5: sdf: command not found
51 !! ...
52 * ...
55 greetings
56 fabian
60 Musik ist niemals illegal: www.fairsharing.de
61
62 I prefer signed/encrypted Mail:
63 Fingerprint: CFE8 38A7 0BC4 3CB0 E454 FA8D 04F9 B3B6 E02D 25BA