From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: GPL and Source code providing
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:23:45
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2
3 > That said, y'all _should_ have a fairly vanilla base configuration
4 > across all servers (base kernel config, firewalling, grsec config,
5 > etc). Further, y'all were running lighttpd last I knew- so y'all
6 > should be tracking it for securities concerns already... and this
7 > particular setup is pretty damn simple (no dynamic, straight
8 > dir_index).
9
10 Nope, been talked about for the patches stuff (which is related to
11 this). but never have been actually implemented.
12
13 > Talk to web crew, stuart in particular. Beyond them (their
14 > complaints/issues predate my time of managing the mirror image), folks
15 > _do_ screw up and needed to raid files from the mirror (lost patches
16 > in particular), requests I used to take care of.
17 >
18 > Every few months is a rough rate going by memory at 8:30am. Not huge,
19 > but as said, if need to provide access to gpl'd sources for bin (not
20 > just releng cds btw, people are forgetting we have precompiled pkgs in
21 > the tree also), it _is_ a potential route for handling that
22 > requirement while killing off another bit of manual work.
23
24 If its that rare, it doesn't need to be a public service. We can easily
25 deal with those on a case by case basis. Of course, we'd need to
26 document this so that people know how to get it in case they want it.
27
28 > Am I stating there is a 'sudden demand'? I don't see throngs of folks
29 > screaming for a fallback tier (am seeing people screaming for
30 > patches.g.o, which is inline with this), thing is y'all have to
31 > archive this stuff and I'm pointing out a way to make it not suck and
32 > provide some extra functionality with minimal cost.
33
34 Yes, patches.g.o (or whatever it will be called) will fix a lot of these
35 issues. So there's no need to go into circles for that part of it. I'm
36 mainly talking about the archived stuff that is old and won't be
37 included on the patches.g.o right off. I don't see the need to have a
38 public service for those old ones unless the demand is there.
39
40 > Suggest others are given time to weigh in on this rather then
41 > restating that you don't think there is demand for it.
42 >
43 > Nobody yays it, hey, folks have spoken and y'all go with the same
44 > non public backup.
45
46 I agree. I'm not shutting it down, I'm just stating that I don't see the
47 demand for creating a service for it. Unless I'm proven wrong, I will
48 keep my stance on this.
51 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
52 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
53
54 ---
55 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
56 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
57
58 ramereth/irc.freenode.net