From: Tony Clark <tclark@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] maybe it is time to put portage queries into a database.
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 03:05:58
1 On Wednesday 25 June 2003 01.57, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 24 June 2003 05:58 pm, Henti Smith wrote:
3 > > On 24 Jun 2003 16:04:58 -0700
4 > >
5 > > jesse <yoda@××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > > isn't db a system lib .. and installed on every machine ?
7 > > > >
8 > > > > can't you just use that ?
9 > > >
10 > > > My proposition was to use some connector lib that is compatable with
11 > > > all those db formats. so you don't have to re-write a bunch of backend
12 > > > drivers or DB specific queries. Im not a python programmer C/Perl are
13 > > > my main forte, and you can use DBI to interface with many many db's as
14 > > > long as you keep your queries db agnostic, and use the dbi methods. At
15 > > > least with postgresql, mysql, and oracle to (some extent) this is the
16 > > > case.
17 > >
18 > > but since the db system is already part of the default system, why not
19 > > just use that. It's really a system function .. and I knwo th
20 > > "selectable" databse of choice is a nice to have but do we (gentoo)
21 > > really want people to run different DB's for portage backend stuff .. and
22 > > handle the bug tracking hell that will result because of it ?
23 >
24 > I don't think that would scale well(sure a couple of boxes, but I'm
25 > probably going to have over ten by the end of the year, and if it scales
26 > well enough, that would be a boon for cluster environments where there can
27 > be thousands of nodes). I like the idea of having many backends available.
28 > That way, people could use whatever suited their environment. Aside from
29 > that the libs you are talking about are c libs. If this project aims to be
30 > included as part of portage at some point, it needs to be written in
31 > portage's native language. I think python has some basic db lib interface
32 > built in, I don't know about mysql/postgres/etc.
33
34 I know SFA about python and see an initial implementation in perl as the
35 fastest way to get something going at least for me.
36
37 tony
40 Contract ASIC and FPGA design.
41 Telephone +46 702 894 667