From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, drobbins@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:09:28
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:51:13PM +1000, Troy Dack wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:09:17AM -0400, Paul wrote:
6 > >> Hi;
7 > >>
8 > >> A long while back, I asked if it was a requirement
9 > >> for ebuild submiters to assign copyright. I was told
10 > >> no, GPL license was entirely sufficient. I think this has
11 > >> changed, or was untrue.
12 > >> Now, Ive already given up on the submission
13 > >> process, but I _am_ curious about this policy, as I
14 > >> havent yet given up on Gentoo itself.
15 > >>
16 > >> Paul
17 > >> set@×××××.com
18 > >
19 > > I would be very interested in hearing your issues with ebuild
20 > > submission, if you'd like to contact me privately about it.
21 > >
22 > > With regards to copyrights, it's necessary for us to own copyright on
23 > > ebuilds in order to defend our intellectual property. If we (Gentoo
24 > > Technologies) don't own copyright on ebuilds (and other pieces of
25 > > Gentoo), we have no legal leg to stand on if someone (for example)
26 > > attempts to put a more restrictive license on that piece of intellectual
27 > > property.
28 > >
29 > > In short: if we don't own copyright, we can't defend ourselves.
30 >
31 > [Note I am not versed in the many nuances of copyright law]
32 >
33 > I can understand this position, however I think some people feel that this
34 > is in some way removing or diminishing the fact that they have made a
35 > contribution to Gentoo.
38 Why? Attribution is given in ChangeLogs as per policy.
39
40 > Would it not be possible for copyright to be assigned to Gentoo and the
41 > author of the ebuild?
42
43 That's what we needed information from Daniel's lawyer about.
46 > I believe that this has been discussed previously on this list (when I get
47 > a chance I'll search my archive) and that there was an agreement reached
48 > between Gentoo and an educational institution on this very matter.
51 Was that agreement actually reached? I have been away from development
52 and not very involved for a couple weeks.
53
54 CC'ing Daniel for more information.
57 Jon Portnoy
58 avenj/irc.freenode.net