From: Trinity <seemant@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] mc/mcedit/mcserver
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:40:23
Hello Again to my Gentoo friends,

ok, I am still enjoying using Gentoo.  It's still a fantastic distro.
I do have some issues with midnight commander though.  The first thing
is: why is SAMBA built into it by default?

I have never, do not currently, and never intend to (yeah I know, never
say never) run SAMBA anything on my box, so I would much rather not
have it.  And I really do not enjoy seeing those Codepage errors, which
according to the reply to my previous message were being caused by the
Samba in mc. Is this building in of it intentional?  Any way that it
can be turned into a USE option instead?  We actually wound up removing
the samba lines in the ebuild file.  I hope that does not break
anything though.  It seems to barf at runtime - possibly because of a
difference in samba config file placement? I do not know - I am not
clear on this, I prefer to tango.

While we are on the subject of mc, in fact, I notice that there are
configuration options not being set at all in mc, eg
--enable-mcserv-install --enable-charset and of course --with-ext2undel

Anyway, they are easy enough to do by editing the config file, it's
just SAMBA which is the sticking point...

Thanks again,

Seemant

=====
"Duty is God" - Sathya Sai Baba