From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 10:18:46
1 On 13/08/17 11:11, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2017 10:52 PM, Duncan wrote:
3 >> How so? Are you arguing that deciding to system-wide switch to/from
4 >> pulseaudio, systemd, or gstreamer is nonsense?
5 >>
6 > The meaning of any one USE flag varies widely across packages. I could
7 > never say "I want to enable USE=gstreamer" for every package in the
8 > tree, because I have no idea what it does for most of them. Setting
9 > USE=whatever globally essentially means "make random changes to my
10 > system" -- hence my wording.
11 >
12 > The meaning of a USE flag is per-package, so per-package is the only
13 > meaningful way to set them.
14 >
15 Which is why we have GLOBAL use flags and LOCAL use flags, right?!
16
17 I'm not sure I'm actually reading this discussion right now?! and I'm
18 *not* a dev ...