From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glep 23 and glep 5
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:58:26
1 On 03/18/04 Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I just re-read glep 5 and I noticed a problem with it. It proposes
6 > moving the licensing information to metadata.xml. First, the license
7 > can change from one version to another. And second, it's incompatible
8 > with glep 23 (the accept_licenses glep) which proposes to make use
9 > flags affect licenses (which seems pretty reasonable). So the license
10 > part should probably be dropped from glep 5.
11
12 I don't see a problem with the idea itself, but the implementation in
13 portage could be a problematic. It would either require adding xml
14 parsing code to some core routines or to handle variables from
15 metadata.xml completely different which would result in API changes
16 breaking tools. Another issue is that it could result in serious
17 performance penalties (e.g. emerge --search would have to parse
18 metadata.xml for possibly hundreds of packages) and the lost capability
19 of defining the variables in eclasses.
20
21 Marius
26 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
27 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.