From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing SHA512 hash from Manifests
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 06:20:15
1 On Sat, 2021-07-24 at 17:15 -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 7/24/2021 11:16, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi, everyone.
4 > >
5 > > I've been asked to repost the idea of removing SHA512 hash from
6 > > Manifests, effectively limiting them to BLAKE2B.
7 > >
8 > > The 'old' set of Gentoo hashes including SHA512 went live in July 2012.
9 > > In November 2017, we have decided to remove the two other hashes and add
10 > > BLAKE2B in their stead. Today, all Gentoo packages are using BLAKE2B
11 > > and SHA512 hashes.
12 > >
13 > > To all extent, this is purely a cosmetic change. The benefit from
14 > > removing the additional hash is negligible, both from space perspective
15 > > and hashing speed perspective. The benefit from keeping two hashes is
16 > > also negligible.
17 > >
18 > > Back during the 2017 discussion, Infra came to the conclusion that we're
19 > > going to keep SHA512 for a transition period, then remove it, and stay
20 > > with a single hash algorithm. In my opinion, we have kept it long
21 > > enough.
22 > >
23 > > WDYT?
24 >
25 > Are there any security benefits/consequences of keeping two/one? If no to
26 > consequences, then I don't see a problem dropping SHA512.
27
28 To the best of my knowledge, the consequences are negligible.
29
30 > And are we looking at BLAKE3 hash support at all for the future? I know
31 > that algo is fairly new (Jan 2020). A quick read indicates it merges a
32 > number of the BLAKE2 variants together and is faster in some areas of execution.
33
34 Not at the moment. I see they've eventually made a C implementation, so
35 maybe it's worth looking into. OTOH we may want to wait till it's part
36 of CPython, or at least has C-based Python bindings.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny