From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild bumping policy wrt KEYWORDS
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:22:46
1 On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:51:02 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > At the same time, I've heard that we should never KEYWORD *anything*
5 > which we cannot test for ourselves. This has been my general way of
6 > doing things. When I commit a new version of a package, I only KEYWORD
7 > it for the arches I can test for, then I send a test request to the
8 > remaining arches.
9 >
10 > Which is the preferred method?
11
12 It's sort of both.
13
14 According to
15 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=5#doc_chap2,
16 if an ebuild had an ~arch or arch keyword in the previous version, the
17 policy is to make it ~arch in the new version. If for some reason the
18 package maintainer is of the impression the new version would break a
19 given arch, they may omit the arch from the new version and request the
20 arch test out the package.
21
22 If the keyword didn't exist before and you can't test for it a given arch,
23 then yeah, don't keyword it lest we let jforman out of his cage again.
26 Jason Wever
27 Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead