From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Features and documentation
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:42:15
1 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> posted
2 474D53CA.7060101@g.o, excerpted below, on Wed, 28 Nov 2007
3 12:40:58 +0100:
4
5 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 >> How the recent changes happened to allow USE flag descriptions in
7 >> metadata.xml (which I'm not taking any position on now) gave me an
8 >> idea. The Linux kernel requires that any needed documentation accompany
9 >> all changes requiring said documentation -- part of the source-code
10 >> patch must apply to the Documentation/ directory. Should we require
11 >> that before you commit any changes, you (or someone) write the
12 >> documentation for them and commit it or submit a patch at the same
13 >> time?
14 >
15 > We're not talking about ebuilds here, are we? So what ARE we talking
16 > about?
17
18 Agreed with hkBst and Ciaranm on this one.
19
20 Donnie, I'm sure you have the scope of what you intend to apply this to
21 firmly in your mind, but it's not at all clear from your post what it
22 is. Ebuilds? Doesn't make sense with changelog already there and
23 generally used (when folks don't forget or screw the format and therefore
24 the parsing thereof). Eclasses? OK, that makes more sense, but is that
25 what you intended? Gentoo sponsored projects such as portage? Isn't
26 that stepping on the various project's toes and don't most of them have
27 such requirements in place formally or not as it is? Something else?
28 Some combination of the above?
29
30 It's kinda hard to discuss such a proposal without knowing where it is
31 going to be applied, or to read such discussion without being sure
32 everybody has the same target in mind (maybe it was discussed on IRC and
33 since I don't normally do that I missed it... seems I'm not the only one,
34 tho), and what it may be.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list