From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] modular X - 7.0 RC1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:27:19
1 Dan Armak wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 October 2005 21:48, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
3 >
4 >>On 20/10/2005 21:16:47, Dan Armak (danarmak@g.o) wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>On Thursday 20 October 2005 20:58, Matthijs van der Vleuten wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>On 10/20/05, Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>>To solve this issue it would have to be an on-by-default flag, i.e.
11 >>>>>'noxserver'. I know some people are strongly against nofoo flags.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>What about an off-by-default 'xserver' flag?
14 >>>
15 >>>It wouldn't solve the problem at hand.
16 >>>
17 >>>Without any flag at all, the user needs to 'emerge xorg-x11' manually to
18 >>>get eg KDE to run locally. With an off-by-default flag, he needs to set
19 >>>it on manually, _before_ installing KDE, to get an xorg-x11 server. As
20 >>>long as he needs to do something manually, explicitly, it should just be
21 >>>an 'emerge xorg-x11', which after all is a very simple operation.
22 >>
23 >>Maybe I'm being stupid, but I don't understand why a user would need to
24 >>emerge xorg-x11 manually when doing 'emerge kde'. Surely somewhere in
25 >>kde's dependency graph the X server is called up in RDEPEND? An X server
26 >>is clearly a run-time dependency.
27 >>
28 >>Like, konqueror RDEPENDS on qt which RDEPENDS on xorg-xserver, or whatever.
31 > No, KDE (like all X11 apps) only needs the client X11 libs and headers. It can
32 > then contact a remote X11 server over the network.
33 >
34 > Now that the client libs and headers are available in separate ebuilds,
35 > there's no reason for KDE to depend on the server ebuild, so it won't.
38 Take the X use flag out, since X is horribly not descriptive.
39
40 Xclient, Xserver, both tell you what they are doing, both probably
41 global use flags. Announce it loudly, and fix everything at once, since
42 that is probably how it will go anyway :)
43
44 I think it's really cool to be able to build a server that has no X, but
45 has KDE on it, especially since 99% of the time I'd never actually log
46 in locally.
47
48 There is nothing wrong with 2 flags here, IMHO. Yeah you have to set
49 them, either in default-linux/$arch ( not base here however, set it
50 higher up, not everyone wants friggin x installed *shakes fist* ) or
51 wherever. That or auto-use, either way people using -* are screwed, we
52 know this and they know it. It's something they deal with every day. I
53 dout their system is going to be horribly screwed as long as they are
54 paying attention. If they randomly --depclean without looking, then
55 yeah X will probably get ripped out from under them :) Thats their risk.
56 (antarus)
57 -Alec warner
58 --
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list