From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pkg_pretend USE validation and VALID_USE alternative
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 17:49:34
1 On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 02:20:35AM -0700, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Hola all-
3 >
4 > For those who aren't familiar, pkg_pretend is in EAPI4- the main usage
5 > of it is will be use dep checking- this email is specifically
6 > regarding an alternative to it that *should* be superior for that use
7 > case, but I'm looking for feedback.
8 >
9 > Basically, we use the original VALID_USE proposal from way back in
10 > '05- if you're familiar w/ MYOPTIONS, they're reasonably similar.
11 >
12 > Roughly, VALID_USE is a list of constraints stating what the allowed
13 > use flag combinations are for this pkg. If you think of normal
14 > depdencies (I must have openssl and python merged prior), it's the
15 > same machinery.
16 >
17 > [snip]
18 >
19 > Comments desired; assuming no significant blowback, I'll be pushing
20 > this to the council level since eapi4 is annoying feature locked right
21 > now.
22
23 I like the whole concept, it is clean and straightforward.
24
25 Also, notifying the user of any possible issues and breaking so he can
26 make the actual decision sounds far better than making the choice for him.
27
28 VALID_USE does look a bit strange.
29
30 how about