From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:23:00
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 02:45:29PM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
4 > On 5/27/20 2:16 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
5 > > The problem when doing review on Github
6 > > for me is, that we usually create new revisions. Therefore we don't see
7 > > what's changed in new revision versus previous revision.
8 > That's my main concern with the current behaviour: a "git diff" often doesn't show a diff against the previous (ebuild) file, it shows a diff against /dev/null :-/
9
10 Indeed, on GitHub it is hard to review, but locally you can add
11
12 [diff]
13 algorithm = patience
14
15 to your .gitconfig, and that should help with the diffs even when
16 the revision changes by moving the file. When copying, it probably
17 won't help.
18
19 We could also try as a policy to split the revision bump from the
20 changes, i.e. bump the revision in the first commit, then apply the
21 changes in a second one. That way, one can click on the right commit
22 to see the differences only, even on GitHub. Then we can squash when
23 merging locally, since we don't click merge on GitHub anyway.
24
25 Cheers,
26 -Guilherme