From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 38: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:11:35
1 On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 17:49 -0400, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-28-06 at 07:20 -0400, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:57:46PM +0200, Ioannis Aslanidis wrote:
4 > > > On 6/28/05, Shyam Mani <fox2mike@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Does it really matter you if we are called developers instead of staff?
7 > > >
8 > >
9 > > Yes. You don't develop anything
10 >
11 > Neither do infra devs or doc devs...
12
13 I'd beg to differ there actually.
14 Infra developers are more often than not package maintainers etc as
15 well, and have cvs rights. if they don't have cvs rights, they look
16 after core infrastructure which is vital to Gentoo's survival.
17
18 Documentation devs, develop rather large and quite excellent online (and
19 offline) documentation.
20
21 Not to take away from the importance (or lack of depending on view) of
22 moderating the forums, but they are not as critical as official
23 literature and infrastructure, and also do not necessarily require in
24 depth knowledge of the technical aspects of any post.
25
26 Regardless, I would prefer the term "Staff."
27
28 Also, I don't really see the need in having shell access to the
29 developer boxes. what use would this be?