From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to provide a recent TeXLive for Gentoo for our users?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 19:16:37
1 On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 20:07:07 +0200
2 Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > [...]
5 > >> This is not a very nice solution, but it works so far. One
6 > >> difficulty is, that there is no 1:1 relation between the texlive
7 > >> distribution and dev-texlive/* at the moment.
8 > > There is a 1:1 relation.
9 >
10 > A full installation of TeXLive installs packages, which are in
11 > dev-tex/* and dev-texlive/* on gentoo.
12 > On the other hand single packages are bundled some times.
13 > Some programs/packages can be found in dev-tex/* and dev-texlive/*
14 >
15 > I remember, that I last we had for example dev-tex/notoccite in the
16 > tree and dev-texlive/texlive-latexextra including shipped the same,
17 > but newer files.
18 > This is what I meant with "no 1:1 relation"
19
20 The idea with dev-tex/* packages is that they can be split out of
21 texlive and installed/updated independently as long as they are
22 actively maintained. While you might have a need for specific updates
23 on some packages, I seriously doubt you need (and can find the manpower
24 to maintain) a live ebuild for the whole CTAN and can live with yearly
25 texlive updates.
26
27 The notoccite example is what happens over the years: package is left
28 unmaintained, texlive catches up and the package becomes useless.
29 Worse: if done properly it will overlay the more recent version from
30 texlive! Those packages should be reported and removed (or updated).
33 > >> How can we enable our users to run a recent TeXLive in a clean
34 > >> way?
35 > > /usr/local/share/texmf has been supported by texlive on Gentoo from
36 > > day one. You can use that. It's an overlay that takes precedence on
37 > > anything else, so per the above, you lose all the QA & testing done
38 > > behind the scenes if you use this.
39 >
40 > And packages which depend on a specific LaTeX package will not
41 > install. So the user has to provide a package.provided list, which is
42 > not so nice to maintain for so many packages.
43
44 They will install, only they will pull older unused files from
45 texlive. As said above, the proper way to avoid this is to step up as
46 maintainer of some dev-tex/* packages, fix the deps to add a || or
47 (probably after convincing me it's worth it because the package is
48 updated very frequently) remove it entirely from texlive and switch the
49 deps.
52 Alexis.