From: Chris Houser <chouser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 2.2
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 10:21:23
1 Mikael Hallendal wrote: [Thu Jan 3 2002, 10:39:10AM EST]
2 > Isn't python-config part of the distribution? If so why are we
3 > distributing our own in files/?
4
5 python-config is not part of the python distribution -- it is a gentoo
6 creation. It could probably be made to pick up the correct python
7 version automatically, just like it picks up the libs.
8
9 At some point, both python 2.1 and python 2.2 ebuilds should be updated
10 to take into account that they don't need to modify Setup much at all
11 anymore. Since 2.1, python has been using configure to discover things
12 instead of relying on changes to the Setup file. I think that this
13 means our current 2.1 and 2.2 ebuilds *look* like they are taking USE
14 vars into account, but in fact do not have those settings reflected in
15 the python that gets built.
16
17 I started on a python 2.2 ebuild a while ago, but didn't get far enough
18 to submit. :-/ Thanks for getting the good work done, g2boojum.
19
20 --Chouser