From: Yuri Vasilevski <yvasilev@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag documentation
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:14:05
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:24:53 -0500
4 Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
5
6 > What exactly do we need this system to do that we can't do now?
7
8 The only interesting thing I can think of, is to expose some of the USE
9 flags logic found in some ebuilds in a parseable fashion.
10
11 I'm talking about things like (from mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2.ebuild):
12
13 - Two flags are mutually exclusive:
14 ( cdio implies !cdparanoia ) and (cdparanoia implies !cdio)
15 - A flag makes sense only if another flag is on:
16 !encode implies !aac
17
18 This way portage will be able to inform/warn the user automatically
19 that the set of USE flags the user has chosen really means some other
20 thing. Something like:
21
22 [ebuild R ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2 USE="X cdio -aac#1 -cdparanoia#2 -encode ..."
23
24 #1 aac needs encode
25 #2 cdio conflicts with cdparanoia
26
27 But this logic will have to be exposed on a .ebuild level.
28
29 > Is overriding the USE flag with use.local.desc sufficient and we just
30 > need to document the current solution properly?
31
32 I would say yes.
33
34 Also, what would we gain switching to xml?
35 The format as it is now is trivially parseable and human friendly.
36 While if the data is in xml format it will be less human friendly, as
37 well as, it will be harder to extract the information from shell
38 scripts.
39
40 Kindest regards,
41 Yuri.