From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:43:28
1 On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:47:22 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Tags work best when they describe narrow, clearly defined attributes,
5 > and the thing they are applied to can have one, two or more of these
6 > attributes or sometimes even none. Music and movie genres are an
7 > excellent example - there are only so many of them and for the most
8 > part one can tell whether a tag really is a genre or not.
9
10 There are more ways to search for a music or a movie than a genre:
11
12 What mood is it in? What are key elements of its plot or lyrics?
13 Where does it take place? For which audience is it meant? Which praises
14 has it received? What kind of style is it made in? What is it based on?
15 What is the attitude of it? What looks or effects does it have? Is it
16 appropriate for children? Does it contain explicit things?
17
18 Let's do this for movies. I'm looking for a ...
19
20 ... serial killer (key element) that is scary (mood)?
21 Carrie, Halloween, Saw, Scream, ...
22
23 ... musical (genre) that makes one feel good (mood)?
24 Aaja Nachle, Frozen, Grease, The Sound of Music, ...
25
26 ... good versus evil (plot) based on comics (based on)?
27 Batman, Sin City, Superman, The Avengers, ...
28
29 ... goofy (attitude) hero (key element) where nothing goes right (plot)?
30 Due Date, Faulty Towers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Mr Bean, ...
31
32 These are results from an actual movie recommendation site; similarly,
33 the same exists for music too, where you can for example look for a
34 female american singer-songwriter singing catchy contemporary country.
35
36 Getting back to Gentoo; when I would look for some package, I want it to
37 be a lightweight, do audio recordings, organize these audio recordings
38 and do effects on these audio recordings. So, I'll be looking for tags
39 like "lightweight, audio-recording, file-organization, sound-effects";
40 if that's to broad, I can take two of them and test some of that.
41
42 Thinking about the different types of things to search for; I'm
43 thinking about ...
44
45 ... what the characteristics of the software are
46 (light/heavy, new/old, extensible/modular/nonstandard, ...),
47
48 ... what the software can do (record audio, organize files, ...),
49
50 ... what category (browser, development, DAW software, utility, ...),
51
52 ... what kind of interface the software has to me (CLI, GUI, ...),
53
54 ... what interconnectivity the software has (internet, bluetooth, ...),
55
56 ... and so on ...
57
58 We could make a list of types (some already mentioned above) and a list
59 of possible tags for that type to shape the tag system somewhat.
62 With kind regards,
63
64 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
65 Gentoo Developer
66
67 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
68 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
69 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D