From: Thomas Cort <tcort@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: AT emerge info cruft > attachments on bugs.g.o
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:50:39
1 On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:50:55 +0200
2 Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I propose the `emerge --info` included in arch testers' comments on
5 > stabilisation bugs should rather be posted as attachments. The AT
6 > comments clog up the bugs and are usually not interesting at all to devs
7 > other than those who are arch devs for the relevant arches. It would
8 > certainly improve my RSI not to have to scroll past them.
9
10 Why do arch testers need to post `emerge --info` if everything works?
11 Shouldn't we be able to trust that they have sane CFLAGS, proper
12 FEATURES, and an up to date system?
13
14 > On a minor note, I'd also like to see bug reporters use canonical
15 > package names in bug descriptions, including the category (and
16 > preferably the specific version, not some >=foo-3*!!!one, not to
17 > mention specifying no version at all). Including the category means
18 > arch devs won't need to guess/discover which of a few hundred categories
19 > a package is meant to reside in.
20
21 I totally agree. An AT or arch team member should know which category,
22 package, and version to test from the bug summary alone.
23
24 -Thomas