From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Mirroring Gentoo project/team members on GitHub
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:33:01
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 Now that we're officially on git and can officially use pull requests
4 to provide rapid community interaction, it'd be convenient to have
5 a little better framework for pinging package maintainers.
6
7 With the unofficial mirror/pull request project, I was either looking
8 for project member GitHub accounts and pinging found project members by
9 name, or talking to them directly on IRC. However, with the growth in
10 number of pull requests this will become more and more inconvenient.
11 Therefore, I think it's time to be able to mirror teams willing to work
12 with GitHub community there for easier 'pings'.
13
14 I have two ideas right now:
15
16 1. creating GitHub Gentoo project teams corresponding to willing Gentoo
17 teams,
18
19 2. preparing lists of GitHub usernames on project wiki pages.
20
21 Solution 1. is cleaner. In this case, we create GitHub teams under
22 the Gentoo projects, and add appropriate Gentoo developers having
23 GitHub accounts to the teams. Then, in PRs we can just ping the whole
24 team like @Gentoo/Qt or like.
25
26 Solution 2. avoids adding any GitHub teams. In this case, in team wiki
27 page we collect team member usernames like "@Pesa, @kensington, ..." so
28 we could copy-paste it to pull requests. We still require extra effort
29 when 'assigning' PRs but at least I don't have to lookup the same
30 people over and over again.
31
32 With some Wiki people help, we could even implement updating GitHub
33 teams automatically following Wiki member changes.
34
35 Your thoughts?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny