From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching default password hashes from sha512 to yescrypt
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 14:36:07
1 Mikhail Koliada wrote:
2 > This idea has been fluctuating in my head for quite a while given
3 > that the migration had happened a while ago [0] and some other
4 > major distributions have already adopted yescrypt as their default algo
5 > by now [1].
6
7 Please only do that based on proven merit and nothing else.
8
9 Fedora or anyone else for that matter making a change is a truly
10 terrible reason to take any action whatsoever, since other
11 organizations are driven by /their/ interests - with Fedora in
12 particular being driven by the business interests of Red Hat.
13
14 I consider Gentoo a leader in many regards and it makes me really
15 sad whenever Gentoo changes based on nothing more than "others did it".
18 Thanks and kind regards
19
20 //Peter