From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] epatch still no helper function? [from eutils.eclass]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 17:57:11
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2012 13:29:41 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:18:35 +0200 "Andreas K. Huettel" wrote:
3 > > > On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
4 > > >
5 > > > wrote:
6 > > > > "epatch" is so widely used and basic that I wonder why it's still
7 > > > > not implemented as a real helper function.
8 > > >
9 > > > Because then its harder to change, it must be in PMS, otherwise you
10 > > > have to do things like test which version of epatch the package
11 > > > manager provides....sounds a lot like EAPI :)
12 > >
13 > > You know, that's actually a pretty good case *for* base.eclass,
14 > > eutils.eclass and similar... we should probably move more functions
15 > > there... :D
16 >
17 > I'm not sure that having to make sure you don't break ten thousand
18 > packages whenever you make a change is a good case... When it's EAPI
19 > controlled, if a change causes problems, it doesn't break anything.
20
21 and the obvious con is that it's hard to add new features and extend
22 implementation details without also upgrading all EAPI aspects. locking down
23 EAPI is great for the format of the file and for simpler commands (like most of
24 the install funcs), but for more complicated functions, an eclass is nicer.
25 -mike