From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:49:25
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 15:22 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > No, but the ebuilds are also checked by the team in question, that
4 > > actually knows the packages, versus a couple of developers that will be
5 > > overworked, dealing with packages that they are completely unfamiliar
6 > > with and have no experience with. I just don't see the two as equal in
7 > > any way. I also do not see how this helps Gentoo development.
8 >
9 > Being able to maintain these ebuilds in version control rather than
10 > random attachments to bugzilla is a huge improvement.
11
12 Of course they would be, to the team in question. To a few random
13 developers being responsible for *any* kind of package, it won't make
14 much difference since their familiarity level is very near zero.
15
16 Good examples of this *working* are php, webapps, or even vmware.
17
18 Bad examples would be this overlay. Instead of a directed and focused
19 overlay, designed to ease testing and development on otherwise intrusive
20 changes to the tree, it is a dumping ground for ebuilds that either
21 weren't good enough, or weren't interesting enough for inclusion.
22
23 Either that, or they're ebuilds related to an already-established
24 project where the team members simply don't have the time. This is
25 probably the only case where the ebuilds in question might make it into
26 the tree after being in this overlay.
27
28 This overlay is a dumping ground for the barely-wanted, and little more.
29 As I have said, I don't see it actually improving the situation nearly
30 as much as it will be detrimental to it.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
35 x86 Architecture Team
36 Games - Developer