From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:38:28
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 16:02, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:31:29 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I know you would do that. My problem is not with how it is done. But
6 > > what is done. The problem is not about portage choking. The problem
7 > > is that at this point there is no reason to make paludis specific
8 > > changes to the tree.
9 >
10 > Changes are made to profiles all the time for the benefit of a package
11 > in the tree. How is this different?
12
13 Paludis is not just a package, it is an alternative package manager. The
14 proposed changes are also not just the setting of a default for a
15 useflag. What you are requesting is adding a different version of gentoo.
16
17 A package manager should not mean a different version at all. Whether I
18 install subversion with portage or with paludis should not make any
19 difference in the installed result.
20
21 > It would not be bound to a profile in any way. It can read and use any
22 > profile that Portage can. The new profile(s) would be purely for the
23 > convenience of those who want to use it and don't want Portage
24 > installed.
25
26 I already stated that I would find a no-portage profile discussable. This
27 profile would then mean that portage, pkg-core, and paludis would be able
28 to handle it.
29
30 I am not sure though whether having a portage virtual would not be enough.
31 As portage depends on python, it would be worthwhile to research whether
32 removing python from the default package list works. In that case it is
33 possible to remove the explicit portage dependency from the tree.
36 > > It would also mean that every package manager would have its own
37 > > profiles. A needless duplication that gets you nowhere.
38 >
39 > And how is this any different from having seperate subprofiles for NPTL
40 > or no-NPTL, for 2.4 or 2.6 kernels, or different compiler versions?
41
42 Those profiles are not tied to the package manager. A package manager does
43 not change anything to the installed system (except its own metadata).
44 All these other profiles do.
47 Paul de Vrieze
48 Gentoo Developer
49 Mail: pauldv@g.o