From: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags dri, cups, pppd
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 00:10:31
1 On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 01:02:04AM +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 > Markos Chandras schrieb:
3 > > On 18 January 2013 23:29, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
4 > > <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> Because it should be enabled when the respective packages are
6 > >> installed, and not depending on the profile the user has selected.
7 > > Hell, as discussed, the base profile should contain the absolute
8 > > minimal flags, and "dri" does not appear to be one of these.
9 > > Having graphics support on such a profile is not expected. IMHO it
10 > > should be moved to the desktop profile
13 > If you have an absolute minimal system, then none of your packages will
14 > have the dri flag. So it won't hurt. If you remove the dri flag from the
15 > default profile, this will break users' setups for no good reason.
16 >
17 > Moving to EAPI=1 USE defaults would be an alternative if the dri flag is
18 > deemed unacceptable for the default profile, but in my opinion a
19 > pointless exercise as it would change precisely zero systems.
22 > Best regards,
23 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
27 And now I'm going to reverse my original vote. The only packages that
28 have the `dri' USE flag are in the x11-{drivers,libs} categories. As
29 such, it doesn't matter very much whether or not `dri' is in the base
30 profile. Better to leave it than remove it seeing as Chí-Thanh says,
31 it will have less of an impact on the users.
34 Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
35 Gentoo Linux Developer
36 Email : titanofold@g.o
37 GnuPG FP : 2C00 7719 4F85 FB07 A49C 0E31 5713 AA03 D1BB FDA0
38 GnuPG ID : D1BBFDA0