From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] flamewars@gentoo-dev
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 21:56:49
1 On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:17:56 +0400
2 Ivan Chernyavsky <camposer@××××××.ru> wrote:
3 > Recently I've subscribed to this list because I thought this is the
4 > right way to start being involved in Gentoo development process --- I
5 > thought technical discussions are of most importance here.
6
7 You are sadly mistaken. Gentoo hasn't been able to deliver technical
8 progress for a long time, and anyone attempting to get anywhere will be
9 met with constant attacks from people who are unable to admit to
10 themselves that some fairly major changes are needed to allow Gentoo to
11 keep up with the rest of the world.
12
13 Unfortunately, Gentoo is now more concerned about pandering to its
14 'community' (in reality a small number of prolific forums posters who
15 run Ubuntu) and stroking the egos of certain old-time staffers who
16 haven't actually done anything for years. Getting anything done
17 requires wasting large amounts of time dealing with people who:
18
19 * do nothing but post links to that 'poisonous people' talk at random
20 intervals and accuse people of being useless trolls, thus exhibiting all
21 the hallmarks of being poisonous useless trolls themselves.
22
23 * dismiss any technical criticism as being a 'corner case'.
24
25 * think that their opinion is important despite them not understanding
26 what's under discussion.
27
28 * immediately claim that any thread with more than five posts is a
29 flamewar.
30
31 * deliberately disguise any point they may or not be making in horridly
32 broken English (despite being a native speaker) just to wind people up.
33
34 * yell about how projects 'aren't sufficiently inclusive' without ever
35 bothering to either contribute themselves. or check whether anyone else
36 has tried to contribute.
37
38 * refuse to get involved in technical discussions on mailing lists or
39 irc where people can disagree with them, instead keeping all their
40 development discussion on their blog where they can delete any comment
41 questioning their decisions.
42
43 * pull silly emo tactics like posting "I'm not posting to this list any
44 more" or "I'm telling everyone I'm killfileing you" or "I'm going to
45 get my employer to end hosting Gentoo hardware unless you do
46 everything I say" in an attempt to disrupt progress even further.
47
48 * consider being in an uninformed majority more important than being
49 correct.
50
51 * have some insane paranoid conviction that Freenode staff are the ones
52 busy spying on everything they say, whilst conveniently forgetting to
53 notice that Gentoo's own infra team and current Council nomination group
54 includes the person who abused root powers to sniff out lilo's password
55 and give it to the GNAA.
56
57 * use every given opportunity to disrupt things by saying "Why haven't
58 the Portage people contributed to this?", knowing full well that the
59 Portage person is busy doing other things.
60
61 * conveniently forget that Portage is the thing holding Gentoo back.
62
63 * will reply to any post suggesting that things are less than perfect
64 with "well go away and fork Gentoo then".
65
66 * think that any unanswered posts from people doing any of the above is
67 sufficient reason for progress to be blocked until all the above are
68 satisfied, which of course they won't ever be.
69
70 And in amongst all of this, if you fight really really hard, you might,
71 after several months and a whole lot of people trying to kill you,
72 eventually get agreement upon some very minor technical point that's
73 necessary to start getting somewhere. Which is a shame, because Gentoo
74 could quite easily become a lot better than it is.
77 Ciaran McCreesh