From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: When the version scheme changes
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:00:46
1 "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Marius Mauch wrote:
4
5 > > "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > >> Marius Mauch wrote:
8
9 > >>>>> I don't really see how making PV not read-only is any easier
10 > >>>>> than using MY_PV. Did you expect changing PV to magically
11 > >>>>> change P, PVR and PF too?
12
13 > >>>> If we can agree to have those values writable we could define a
14 > >>>> function that will handle resetting all those too.
15
16 > >>> Not going to happen. These variables are used internally by
17 > >>> portage in various ways, and making their content inconsistent
18 > >>> with the version in the filename is likely to cause subtle bugs
19 > >>> and/or weird behavior. Besides, you've yet to explain the benefit
20 > >>> of it, short of avoiding a simple replace operation in an ebuild,
21 > >>> and the given use case isn't all that common anyway.
22
23 > >> Why can't portage use its own variables and export these with an
24 > >> initial value but not use them further?
25
26 > > Because there is no need to create even more variables when there is
27 > > absolutely no benefit.
28
29 > The benefit is being able to automatically reversion an ebuild.
30 > Reversioning may not be necessary very often, but it's annoying when
31 > it is and there is no good reason that it should. There is no benefit
32 > in keeping the version variables read-only.
33
34 What is so hard about using MY_PV that you want portage to change how
35 it uses versioning internally? It's one assignment and a sed.
39 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
40 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
41 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662