From: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global use flag: vpx or vp8
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:12:25
lör 2010-07-31 klockan 13:37 +0200 skrev Hanno Böck:
> vpx for supporting googles vp8 codec used in webm. > > At the moment this is only mplayer and ffmpeg, but it's pretty obvious that > apps supporting vp8 will start popping up everywhere (currently working on > arista ebuild which will support it). > > Though we might discuss if vpx is really a good name or it shouldn't be vp8. >
This feels like the standard discussion about a use flag for function versus a use flag for dependencies. Myself I think this should follow the most commonly for ssl found nameing convention which is that: USE="ssl" provides ssl support in all packages. If a package has optional ssl-support they should have this flag. USE="gnutls openssl nss ..." finetunes which implementation of ssl to use. They should never exist without USE="ssl" unless they package has unconditional ssl support. Of course there are people who think otherwise even for ssl/tls, and so you cannot be sure that you have ssl/tls support even if you have USE="ssl". For example if you cannot connect with vnc using tls to your qemu virtual machine then you have to look up that ebuild to see that tls is only enabled if you have USE="gnutls". I think that is suboptimal and confusing for the user. So I think a USE="vp8" or USE="webm" (probably the first) to enable decoding, and USE="vpx" should be used to fine tune what implementation to use. Having USE="vp8" (no USE="vpx" specified) in make.conf should give you support for vp8 in all packages and the implementation should be the maintainers preference for that package.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global use flag: vpx or vp8 Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>