From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Defining the Tree: a proto-GLEP.
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:48:40
1 Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 19:04 -0400, Luis Francisco Araujo wrote:
3 >
4 >>Stephen Bennett wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Continuing in the series of issues raised during the previous package
7 >>>manager discussions, I'd like to continue by mentioning the tree
8 >>>format. At present, it isn't defined beyond "what the current portage
9 >>>supports", which is frankly a fairly silly way to do things. Following
10 >>>discussion in #gentoo-portage, I'd like to set out to change that.
11 >>>
12 >>>My current idea is to draw up a formal specification of what ebuilds
13 >>>are allowed to do, and what to assume about the environment in which
14 >>>they run, as well as defining the formats of everything under
15 >>>profiles/, metadata.xml files, and other auxiliary information in the
16 >>>tree. I would envision the first version of this document to more or
17 >>>less codify existing practise, perhaps excluding some dubious tricks
18 >>>that are known to break in some cases. Generally, it should be possible
19 >>>to make the tree conform to the first version of the specification by
20 >>>changes no more significant than currently have QA bugs filed for them.
21 >>>
22 >>>It seems fairly obvious that any effort of this kind could potentially
23 >>>have implications, albeit hopefully very minor, across more or less all
24 >>>aspects of the tree, and so I'd like to seek as wide a range of input
25 >>>as possible before going ahead with it. The QA and Portage teams, based
26 >>>on my enquiries in IRC, seem broadly in favour, and I would imagine
27 >>>that this could be very helpful to Gentoo/ALT as well, so I'd like
28 >>>opinions from others at this point. Would you support such an effort,
29 >>>whether passively or actively? Would you oppose it? If so, why? Final
30 >>>implementation of it would I assume require the Council's approval;
31 >>>while I won't ask at this stage for a formal discussion I'd appreciate
32 >>>the views of its members on whether such an initiative is likely to
33 >>>pass.
34 >>>
35 >>>Any input is gratefully received.
36 >>>
37 >>
38 >>I like the idea. This would be some kind of portage-tree standard?
41 > It's been one of the missing cornerstones of the whole equation. Lets
42 > get it done and get it done right.
43 >
44 > One thing I do ask...Lets all start now getting used to calling the
45 > "portage tree" something different. I'm all for terms like "the tree" or
46 > "the ebuild tree" or "the package tree" but at this point, given the
47 > prompting subject matter, the idea of it being a tree which belongs to
48 > portage seems outdated. This may seem like a small thing (like the teams
49 > vs. herds argument that has been brought up countless times before) but
50 > it is the silly little things like this that really do lower the mental
51 > bar for new and exciting things to happen.
54 I prefer gentoo-x86, although others hate that x86-centric moniker ;)
55
56 > Thanks,
57 >
58 > --Dan