From: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:56:59
1 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> writes:
2
3 > I guess by now pretty much everyone knows that the python eclass is
4 > rather complex, and that this poses some problems. This has also been
5 > an important cause for the disagreements between Arfrever and some of
6 > the other developers. Since it appears that Arfrever won't be
7 > committing much code to gentoo-x86 in the near future, I'm trying to
8 > figure out where we should go with the python.eclass. This email is an
9 > attempt at figuring that out, plus eliciting ideas to come up with a
10 > general framework that will also solve this for ruby and other similar
11 > runtimes (while supporting some of the features that the current
12 > python eclass has, but that ruby-ng doesn't have).
13 >
14 > So I know a bunch of people have already looked at it, and I'd like to
15 > know: what do you find better about the Ruby approach compared to the
16 > Python approach? Is it just the size of python.eclass, or are there a
17 > number of other issues?
18
19 Let's skip the Ruby step, and go directly to Common Lisp!
22 __Pascal Bourguignon__ http://www.informatimago.com/
23 A bad day in () is better than a good day in {}.